Tuesday 10 November 2015

Saul bass

The life of Saul Bass 


Saul Bass was a graphic designer and filmmaker, perhaps best known for his design of film posters and title sequences.
During his 40-year career Bass worked for some of Hollywood’s greatest filmmakers, including Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick, Otto Preminger, Billy Wilder, and Martin Scorsese.



video: The man with the golden arm 

      




Quote- "My initial thoughts about what a title can do was to set mood and the prime underlying core of the film’s story, to express the story in some metaphorical way. I saw the title as a way of conditioning the audience, so that when the film actually began, viewers would already have an emotional resonance with it.” — Saul Bass

Not only did Saul Bass create film openings but he also created my posters for films and other sort of media.

Examples: from these examples you can see a similarity to all of them. the majority of his creations are fairly simplistic but ambiguously very metaphoric and symbolic of the film and central character



 Saul bass's work has helped me with ideas for my own film opening as it has reminded me of the power within simplicity. For instance, as I am not equipped with the top software to film and edit my opening sequence, having a key theme that is at first glance basic but alternately has many symbolic features that are representative of my back story. 




No comments:

Post a Comment